Did You Know the Joints in Your Spine Can Cause Pain?
When the spinal joints become damaged due to trauma or wear and tear, they can become painful. This pain can shoot to other areas. Facet injection procedures can help diagnose and treat this problem.
There are three types of facet procedures:
- Medial Branch Block – Numbs the small nerve that takes pain from the joint.
- Intra-articular Facet Injection- Medicine is placed into the joint to help pain and swelling
- Pulsed Radio Frequency- Provides longer term relief and positive results.
- Do not eat or drink (other than sips for pills) for 6 hours prior to the procedure.
- Make sure you have a driver.
- If possible, do not take your pain medications on the morning of the procedure.
- If you are on anti-inflammatory medication, it should be stopped 72 hours before the procedure.
- If you take blood thinners or are diabetic, tell the specialist. You will need to get special instructions.
- If you are pregnant, you shouldn’t have this procedure.
- For more information, see www.spinalinjection.com and click on “For Patients”.